Examinations for Principal Auctioneer, Apprentice Auctioneer, Livestock Auctioneer and Auction House Operator
The examinations are designed to protect the public by ensuring a minimum level of competence for licensees. It is impossible for the examination to cover all possible types and kinds of auctions a licensee might encounter. Instead, the examination attempts to cover auction law, general auction practice, professional ethics, terminology, mathematics, sales tax, plus common areas and auction types most likely to be encountered by the majority of today's auctioneers and auction house operators.
The exams are held in the Board office. Applicants are required to submit a completed application to the Board office at least one week prior to the desired test date in order to be scheduled. You will receive a confirmation notice through the mail or email with the date and time.
The link to the applications for the apprentice, principal and auction house operator examination and the study guide are available on this page . A study guide is included to assist the applicant with their study and preparations for examination by providing basic information and areas for study. The final responsibility for the complete study and proper preparation for the examination rests with the applicant and may require other sources.
Effective July 1, 2015, an applicant for an apprentice auctioneer license or an auction house operator's license shall have successfully completed at least twelve (12) hours of approved classroom instruction, consisting of the core course and six (6) additional hours as prescribed by the board, from a board-approved auction education provider.(KRS 330.060 1 d). The auction courses required are 1. Kentucky Core Course (6 hours) and 2. Kentucky Auction Basics Course (6 hours).
Effective June 24, 2015, an apprentice auctioneer applying for an auctioneer license shall serve a minimum of one (1) year apprenticeship, submit a statement signed by the principal auctioneer verifying active and material participation in at lease ten (10) auctions prior to application and successfully complete at least eighty (80) hours of approved classroom instruction from a board-approved auction education provider. If licensed before June 30, 2010 or after July 1, 2015, shall be required to successfully complete the auctioneer examination.(KRS 330.070 1, 2)
Please make sure you have all the required documents when submitting your application, incomplete applications will be returned.
The following must be received in the Board office at least one week prior to the exam date requrested on the application:
- Completed application including a 2x2 inch photo, signature, notary certification
- All required education completion certificates
- Exam fee of $125.00
The Kentucky Board of Auctioneers has approved the eighty (80) hour auction education curriculum from the following schools
- Kentucky Auction Academy - Bowling Green, KY 270-780-9513 Kentucky Auction Academy
- World Wide College of Auctioneering - Mason City, IA 800-423-5242 World Wide College of Auctioneering
- Ohio Auction School - Groveport, OH 800-947-9118 Ohio Auction School
- Southeastern School of Auctioneering - Pelzer, SC 864-947-2000 Southeastern School of Auctioneering
- Florida Auction Academy - Orlando, FL 800-422-9155 Florida Auction Academy
- Nashville Auction School - Tullahoma, TN 800-543-7061 Nashville Auction School
- Missouri Auction School - Kansas City, MO 800-835-1955 Missouri Auction School
- Reppert School Of Auctioneering - Indianapolis, IN 317-300-1075 Reppert School of Auctioneering
- A-Pass-Weikel Institute - Louisville, KY 502-456-1920, Lexington, KY 859-278-0581 A-Pass-Weikel Institute
- Texas Auction Academy - Dallas, TX 972-387-4200 Texas Auction Academy
- Western College of Auctioneering - Bozeman, MT Western College of Auctioneering
The Kentucky Board of Auctioneers has approved the pre-license education curriculum from the following schools
Exam Fee is $125
KBA 2 EXAM APPLICATION FORM.pdf
Exam Study Guide
2019 Exam Dates
- January 16th
- February 20th
- March 20th
- May 15th
- June 19th
- August 21th
- September 18th
- October 16th
- December 18th - 500 Mero Street, Frankfort KY